Saturday, June 29, 2019

52. Adi Parva - 50. Agni Seeks Arjuna's Help!

Oneday, Yudhishtira  told Krishna,“The summer days have come. Let us all go to the banks of Yamuna, enjoy ourselves there and return in the evening.”

Krishna readily agreed since he was also interested in sporting in water in the company of friends.

Accordingly, all of them went to the banks of Yamuna. Studded with a number of tall trees and high mansions, the place looked like the celestial city.

Yudhishtira had arranged for a variety of foods and drinks, floral wraths and perfumes to be brought there. Every one sported according to his pleasure. 

Many beautiful women entertained them, some sporting in the woods, some in the waters and some in the mansions. Some sang, some danced and some conversed with the men. The mansions and the woods reverberated with the charming music of flutes, guitars and kettle drums.

Yudhishtira, Arjuna, Draupadi and Subhadra  presented the women with gifts.

Arjuna and Krishna went to a charming place in the woods. They sat there and chatted about the past events and several other things. They were sitting there like the Aswinin Devatas (the divine twins). 

A Brahmin with a bright appearance, but clad in rags came near them and spoke to them.

“You two are like the two foremost heroes on the earth. I am a voracious eater. O, Partha, gratify me by giving me sufficient food.”

Arjuna and Krishna asked him what kind of food he desired.
The Brahmin replied, “I don’t desire ordinary food. I am Agni (the God of fire). So, give me the food that will suit me. 

"I have been  desiring to consume this Kandava forest. But this forest is protected by Indra, for the sake of protecting his friend Takshaka, the snake, who has been living here. Because of him, many other creatures are also getting protected. Whenever I try to consume this forest, Indra pours water on me from the clouds and foils my attempt.

“I have come to you since both of you are skilled in weapons. I pray to you to prevent the showers from descending and any of the creatures from escaping, when I begin to consume this forest!”

When Vaisampayana was narrating this, Janamejaya asked him, “Why did Agni desire to consume the Khandava  forest, which was the abode of  various living creatures? There should have been a reason for this. Please enlighten me on this.”

Vaisampayana answered his question by narrating a story.

Next: Adi Parva - 51. Arjuna Agrees to HelpAgni

Previous: Adi Parva - 49. The Pandavas Live in Peace and Happiness




2 comments:

  1. Eagerly looking forward to coming posts. I hope you can complete the entre Mahabharata!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Since I am precoccupied with some other activities also, I couldn't write the next posts. I will do my best to incrrease the frequency and regularity of my posts.

      Delete